Something very strange is going on with a photo of a BUK on a lowloader. The BUK is missing a missile and is believed to the heading towards Russiea (according SBU). The video is said to be made in Luhansk.
While a still of this video was shown during an Ukraine secret service (SBU) press conference as well as on the SBU website, the still was deleted from the website for unknown reasons a few days later.
Doubt about video
I earlier blogged about this video. There are a lot of doubts about the authenticity of the video. See this blog for an overview.
Arnold Greidanus also wrote a blog with doubts on the BUK video in Luhansk.
The photo on the Avakov Facebook site
The first appearance of the video was on the Facebook site of Ukraine’s Interior Minister Arsen Avakov. The video was published at July 18, 2014.
The next day, July 19, SBU held a briefing on MH17 where it presented several photographs (including Buk 312 which belonged to the Ukraine army) and a still from Avakov’s video. The same day SBU published a report on MH17 on their website. The report contained the same photographs and the still from the video that had been presented at the briefing. The text of the report repeated the statements made by the SBU official Vitaly Naida at the briefing.
The video recording of the briefing can be seen here. At aroud 4:45 Nayda explains that the BUK is missing one of the missiles.
This is a link to one of Ukrainian numerous media reports (in Russian) on the SBU briefing of 19 July. The image clearly shows a still of the BUK on trailer missing one missile.
According to the statements made by SBU’s Vitaly Naida at the briefing, on 18 July, at 2 am, two trucks with Buk launchers crossed the border from Ukraine into Russia. One launcher had four missiles , while the other had three missiles. At 4 am, three more trucks crossed the border: one was empty, the other had a Buk launcher with four missiles and the third had a control unit.
Adjustments made by SBU
However, a few days later (probably somewhere 24-25 July), SBU updated the 19 July report. They deleted the photograph of Buk 312 and the still from Avakov’s video. Also, they revised the text.
The current website of the SBU does not show the photos of the Ukraine BUK 312 and the BUK missing one of the missiles.
Several revisions were made to the text. For instance, the revised report says: “At 2:00, July 18, two movers each with a Buk missile launcher crossed the Russian border in Luhansk region. At 4:00, another three movers: one of them empty, other carrying a launcher with four missiles and the latter allegedly with a control unit, crossed the state border”.
No mention of a Buk launcher with three missiles!