At September 28 JIT presented the results of over two years of investigation into the shot down of MH17.
The press conference including the questions by journalists at the end of the press conference can be seen here.
My point of view
- Russia supplied the BUK TELAR system
- there was not much news after two years of investigation besides new photos
- rol of Ukraine is not investigated
- exact type of missile not made known
- investigation continous on why MH17 was shot down, who was in command, what are the names
- JIT is 100% sure a BUK TELAR which came in on July 17 from Russia was used to shot down MH17
- JIT did not present results of missile testing
- air to air scenario can be excluded. Radar images, also supplied by Russia, indicate no aircraft near MH17 capable to shot down MH17
- The Paris Match published photos are indeed taken from a video (dash cam). JIT has the video in possession. During the press conference a small bit of the video was showed.
This video of JIT show a part of the dashboard camera video.
- JIT found in spring 2016 two new photos on social media showing the smoke plume. Using line of sights the origin of the smoke was the launch location near Pervomaisk. Here the video of JIT showing the photo.
- JIT got primary radar recordings from an Ukraine mobile radar unit which was doing software tests. This showed no aircraft near MH17
- So for JIT discussion on radar can be ended. They have enough material to conclude MH17 was shot down by a BUK missile
- JIT did not specify the exact type of missile. They kept mentioning 9M38 series of missile. This is the same DSB concluded.
- Many eyewitness told to JIT that they saw the BUK transport
- The launch field west of Pervomaisk as geolocated a few days after July 17 by Ukrianeatwar website is indeed the launch location.
- This field was under control by the separatists.
- Russia stated the missile was launched by Ukriane near Zaroshchenske. However tapped telephone conversations made in June 2015 in which separatists talk to eachother indicate the area was under control by separatists. This is a video of the telephone conversation.
- Why MH17 was shot down (was it an accident or on purpose) is still under investigation. Tapped telephone conversations indicated separatists were suprised so an accident is most likely
- JIT found new photos of the BUK convoy on route to the launch location.
- investigation on why Ukraine airspace was not closed by Ukraine is not part of the JIT investigation
- JIT agreement is extended to early 2018. The original agreements ends early October 2016.
RTLZ covered the press conference. The complete program can be seen here. Jeroen Akkermans is part of the program.by