July 17, 2016 is was two years ago MH17 was shot down killing all 298 people on board. This post provides a status update of what we know two years later.
- the most likely scenario is that a Russia supplied BUK TELAR shot down MH17.
- the investigation by Bellingcat is focussed on the route of the BUK. Not on finding out who shelled the crash site, if fighter jets were present. What kind of explosions were heard etc.
- finding out the truth about MH17 seems to be a religion for some people instead of pure fact finding. Some dislike Bellingcat very much however fail to provide any reasonable counter evidence.
- there are still unanswered questions about route of the BUK and the alleged launch location
- In May 2016 a new video was found showing the BUK on a lowloader with the Volvo truck. Also Stratfor released a DigitalGlobe satellite photo showing what appears to be the same truck on the same road and time the video was made (details here)
- The Joint Investgation Team did not release the exact type of weapon and launch location as promised before Summer. JIT announced they will now make public the first results of the investigation ‘after summer’.
- I expect this news to be made public in early October. But later in the year cannot be excluded
- Malaysia seem to add some pressure on the investigation by requesting more speed. Also Malaysia had talks with Russia about cooperation on finding out what happened.
- The role of Malaysia in the investigation is vague. (blog)
- Dutch government is consequently delaying the release of MH17 documents to the press. Each month more examples are added to this long list.
- Ukraine after six months finally replied to a letter sent by the next of kin. Instead of the president one of four vice prime ministers responded. He did not anwer the questions.
- Primary radar images are still missing. Dutch parliament refuses to request Russia and Ukraine to hand over any available evidence. Dutch prosecutor went to Russia to ask for additional evidence.
- Russia 24 tv had a documentary fearuring German Peter Haisenko. About the only man on this planet who still believes MH17 was shotdown by a SU-25.
- No a single person on this planet was able to present evidence for an air to air missile type which has the fragments and explosives able to make the damage we see on MH17