The world is familiar with misinformation from the side of the Russian Federation on many topics. So far misinformation, discredit of the criminal investigation and telling clear lies was limited to Russian media and the Russian Ministry of Defense.
However a new low was reached at August 31 2017 when Russian opposition newspaper tvrain published some statements by president Putin on MH17, published in a to be released book. The book has a transcript of interviews by Oliver Stone with Putin.
Stone met Putin several times in summer 2015 for interviews for his movie called “The Putin Interviews” . Some of the statements did not make it in the June 2017 released movie but are printed in the book about the interview.
One of Putin’s cleary not true statements printed in the book is this:
“Now as to the aircraft, the planes which were in the air- as far as I know, right away after this terrible catastrophe, one of the Ukrainian air controllers, I think he was a specialist originating from Spain, announced he had seen a military aircraft in the corridor assigned for civil aircraft”.
Google has a preview of the book here.
Putin refers to Carlos. According Kremlin controlled media like RT, Carlos was a Spanish air traffic controller who worked at the air traffic control center in Kiev. Carlos owned a Twitter account which was used to sent Tweets on July 17, 1014 stating that MH17 was trailed by Ukraine fighterjets. One of the Tweets said MH17 was shot down by Ukraine military jets.
Carlos was seen in an interview for the Spanish branch of RT.
Now this is clearly 100% fake for several reasons:
- Tweets sent by Carlos Twitter account were not live as suggested but were sent two hours after MH17 was shot down
- Tweets sent under the same Twitter account @spanbuca previously had anti Kiev government, anti Israel content. Not Tweets you would expect from an air traffic controller working in Ukraine
- Earlier the same Twitter account had a different name. Namely of a Russian girl.
- MH17 was at the time of shotdown not under control of Kiev air traffic control but by Dnepropetrovsk
- The Ukraine air traffic control authority (UkSATSE) stated there was no Spanish citizen employeed by them.
Putin does not say that MH17 was shot down by a military jet as can be read in the next lines. Putin wants that it is investigated why a military jet was close to MH17.
The statement that the supposed military aircraft near MH17 is nonsense as well. Dutch Safety Board final report conclude there were no other aircraft flying near MH17. Also Russia Ministry of Defense in 2016 stated there was no other aircraft near MH17 capable of downing MH17.
Putin made another remark which is clearly not true.
Putin states “the reports that I’ve received say that the strike hit the tail of the aircraft”.
This is nonsense for even the most non-informed person!
- there is no damage to the tail visible other than some minor caused by impacting the ground
- there is massive damage visible to the cockpit section and cockpit floor. One of the pilots has clear wounds caused by fragments.
- DSB did reconstruct the cockpit and business class section as this was impacted
- DSB concluded a BUK missile exploded near the cockpit