The team of Bellingcat and others helping them did an amazing job in geolocating the route a BUK TELAR took from Donetsk to Snizhne. The BUK could be a Russian supplied BUK as it has similar characteristics of a Russian BUK photographed and filmed as part of a convoy heading towards the Ukraine/Russia border.
While the most likely scenario is this BUK shot down MH17, this is not the complete part of the story.
There are many questions like:
- Why was MH17 shot down? Was it a mistake, was it on purpose?
- Could Ukraine have shot down MH17 using a BUK?
- What happened in the 30 minutes before and after the crash?
The first question is very hard, maybe impossible to answer without detailled knowledge about the BUK and intelligence on communications.
So far there are no indications Ukraine was involved although there are many suspicious elements. Like the missing radar recordings.
The third question is hard to answer , but certainly not impossible. There are some social media conversations available which can provide a better view on the events around the time MH17 crashed.
What we have?
- At 13:18 the transponder data of MH17 data became unreliable (avherald)
- There are many eyewitness who saw one or more fighterjets flying in the area. (source)
To be sure, there is not a single indication one of these jets shot down MH17. However we need to know for sure if there were aircraft, what altitude etc.
- A photographer took two photos of a white smoke trail from his house in Torez. This could be the trail of the BUK missile which shot down MH17. We still do not know the exact time the photos were made. This because the time of the camera appears to be incorrect. What is the correct time?
- There are reports about sirens heard in Torez at July 17 indicating fighter aircraft in the area. Did this indeed happen?
- What are the explosions which triggered the Torez photographer to grab his camera and make the two photos from his balcony? Was it a sonic boom of the BUK missile, was it a sonic boom caused by a fighterjet, was it the impact of the main fuselage near Hrabove? We do not know.
I am sure Bellingcat wants to find the complete truth just like almost everybody else. Bellingcat has the funding, has the knowledge how to explore social media and some of the teammembers understand the Russian language.
This blog is an appeal to Bellingcat to continue its investigation in MH17 and find out what happened shortly before and after the moment MH17 crashed killing 298 people on board.
Obviously Bellingcat is not alone. There are many people like me who are willing to help. Together we can make steps closer to truth.